After successfully getting a warrant, officers from Detroit Police proceeded to a suburb to search the house of a drug suspect. One of the property owners, who knew that they had a bag of crack cocaine inside their home, got scared that the cops would find the illegal substance. Desperate to get rid of it, he opened a window and threw it into the neighbor’s yard.
What he didn’t know is that at that moment, the neighbor’s dog, a pitbull named Nipsey, was there. His dad let him out so he can to do his business.
The dog noticed the bag and got curious. He ripped it right open and ate some of the illicit substance.
The cops searching the property heard a large dog making a ruckus next door. They suspected that something was going on, so they headed next door. They asked the owner if they could get in, and once they were able to, they saw the torn-up bag. They easily put two and two together.
They knew that drugs could lead to potential a fatal situation for Nipsey. They don’t know exactly how much he ingested. So they got in touch with the Michigan Humane Society, who then sent two investigators. When they saw the dog, they made an assessment and recommended that he see a vet right away.
Along with his dog, Nipsey was taken to the MHS Grosfeld Veterinary Center. Vets worked on him right away and made him stay the night for close observation. Thanks to the staff’s immediate response and care, Nipsey was released the next day.
The dog’s owner was very grateful for the quick action of the cops and the medical staff. He would probably have never realized that his dog got doped up. Although he would notice the unusual behavior, it would have taken some time before he would realize that he needed medical care.
Aside from their quick action, the Michigan Humane Society also covered the costs for the treatment.
Source: Michigan Humane via Youtube